Extension built without approval

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we stupidly bought a house with a large side extension that wasn’t signed off (got an indemnity which now I realise is not worth the paper) and is in such rubbish condition we would never be able to sell it. It’s around 13-15 years old the extension. I no we are idiots so don’t go at me about it we were FTB with a rubbish solicitor.

We would like to in the near future to demolish it and put in a 3 metre by 6 metre (think this would be permitted development) extension instead to be just one big kitchen/diner. Current one is 3.25x10 I think and it’s the kitchen and a spare living room. It will however mean we would have to demolish it and not have a kitchen for a long period of time. Would have to adapt the dining room to be a temporary kitchen I think as would need to stay in the house.
Can anyone advise how we even start with this from how we go about demolishing to rebuilding, to getting permission? Any help you can give is appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Don't beat yourself up too much - as for "we would never be able to sell it" well you bought it, and so might others in the future. You would be amazed at what potential buyers are willing to see through when they have their heart set on a place. From the way you have written the rest of your post, to me it sounds like you really need to get a reliable / trusted builder on board and then either get him to suggest some plan drawers (I'll use the word Architect loosely) or find your own local company that can draw up plans and cover Planning permission and Building Regs requirements. You may or may not need planning permission BUT you need to be properly advised here as you don't want to jump out the frying pan in to the fire. If you do need planning I would recommend you get the plan drawers / architect to submit the Planning submittals to the Authorities on your behalf as they should get it right first time in knowing exactly what paperwork / drawings needs to be submitted and in what format. They will give you an idea what this will cost.

You will almost definitely need to satisfy Building regs and your builder and plan drawer will know how to submit plans properly in order to see you through. Then if you engage a builder I strongly recommend you contract them to do all the Building regs submissions to the authorities rather than you try and handle it.

This all does mean some costs but they don't necessarily need to be substantial, and the benefit of having others on board, apart from steering you safely though to a house that is properly done and sellable in the future, is that they could also come up with some design ideas that you might not have thought of yourself. Don't skimp on costs upfront as you need to live in the place long term and will want to enjoy it to its maximum knowing that when you come to sell it there will be no issues. Hope that helps.

There are loads of posts here and in the building forum on the process

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back