Extension cable for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to have power in my shed for lighting and music. The shed is approx 70m from the nearest socket in the house. Eventually I will install a solar panel in the shed, but until I can afford it, I want to use an extension lead from the house as a temporary measure.

The longest extension lead I can find is 50m, and this does not have waterproof sockets. So, my idea is to buy a 50m extension cable with two sockets and a 20m extension cable with one socket, and plug the 50m cable into the 20m cable, and wrap the connection with a plastic bag to keep it weatherproof. I don't want to have to wind it up as I will be using almost every day in the evening, and winding it up in the dark would be a quite a pain!

Is there anything wrong with this idea, or does anyone know where I can buy a 70m (or longer) extension cable? I was told that it is fine to leave the cable outside all winter, as long as the socket and plug ends are both indoors. I would get some rubber covering for the part that crosses a path to avoid trampling.

Is this a reasonable plan? Is there something I can install on the socket end (in the shed) to prevent surges?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
70m is far too long for any extension lead. Plastic bags over connections - don't even think about doing that.

The voltage drop on an extension lead that long will be huge.

The impedance of the long lead will likely result in whatever protective device you have in your house not disconnecting quickly enough in the event of a fault. (Or possibly never disconnecting). Not to mention issues with earthing at that distance from the house.

Further - I have seen many 'temporary' installations which have been in place for years. Once something appears to work, there is no incentive to do the job properly, regardless of how safe or otherwise it might be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back