Deck Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wish to install low voltage deck lighting. I have an outside double MK weatherproof socket, the type which closes over the plug. The plug-in transformer is too big to go straight into the socket, so I would need to make an extension cable connection to the socket, then inside to a small shed where the transformer will go into the female end of the extension cable via RCD, and then back out out to tyhe lights. My question is how can I weatherproof a short run - say 2ft - of the cable from the socket end to the shed. Armoured would be too large, and too much hassle to make the connection. Is their a smaller weatherproof mains cable which I could use maybe arctic ? Or should I use some sort of conduit and glands.

Could someone please let me know their thoughts and explain.

Sponsored Links
Put one of these on the wall next to the socket:

LBOPB1.jpg

I'm a bit worried about "where the transformer will go into the female end of the extension cable via RCD". Are you saying that the external socket you have is not already RCD protected?

I don't like the sound of this idea. Extension leads into sheds into rcd's into a plug in transformers not good.

If the transformer is of the plug in variety (like a mobile phone charger) then it should be in the house with only the ELV side of the circuit exiting outside.

I would only put a transformer outside if it had a rating of IP44 or greater - even if its in a shed as they are prone to damp.

Also your outside socket must also be protected by a 30ma RCD in order to comply with the regs.

Just to clarify I meant I don't like the orginal idea not Ban's suggestion.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, as long as you have an enclosure to at least IP44, and that enclosure has plenty of room for heat dissipation, it should be AOK.

Thanks for your replies. This idea was only rather than drilling holes in the PVC French Doors to accomodate the transformer (mobile phone type)inside the conservatory. The Socket I installed now you mention, is specially protected from a RCB insalled by a sparky for the ring main for an extension we had built.

These are just my thoughts, Obviously if i did go ahead I would make a form of watertight box for the transformer to be in inside the shed.

Meybe the route to go would be the original one ie. and drill through the PVC french door frame to a socket by the door and install the mains equipment inside.

Rather drill thro wall. If pvc door is new, guarantee will be void by drilling.

Looks better, too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back