Extension Cables for Broadband Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just moving my computer and need to run a telephone extension cable to its new location. The broadband revolution is yet to arrive in my village, but I figured I may as well be ready for it when it does.

I think I'd heard that extension cables for broadband should be somehow fancier and/or schmancier than the standard fiver at a car boot sales stuff. What sort of thing should I be looking out for ?

Sponsored Links
Nothing. Not recommended to use extension leads they are ok for low quality voice, but not broadband.

Apologies if this is a daft question then, but does that mean I have to have the computer next to the main telephone point ?

Or is this where wireless comes into it somehow ? Is there something wireless that effectively replaces the telephone extension ? I should know a lot more about this than I do.....

does that mean I have to have the computer next to the main telephone point ?
Thats what all BB ISPs recommend. Best way to go is to get an ADSL modem that has built in wireless (very common) and put a wireless card in your PC. Then what have have is just the modem/wireless router plugged into your primary telephone socket, and you PC just about anywhere you want it.

Sponsored Links
OK - Thanks. So it sounds like cheap and cheerful extension for the current narrowband (actually the one I use at the moment, just rerouted) and then up to wireless come the revolution.....

I've not come across any problems with BB on extensions, although as previously mentioned, the providers usually specify the master. If you are doing an extension anyway, give it a try.

The wireless option is a good idea though. If you have a laptop with wireless, it makes things very easy. Just make sure you get a decent router with firewall and good encryption, and not just the cheapest. I mainly use Drayteks for domesic installations.

There is no problem at all using an extension for BB. I am using one right now. The only consideration is to ensure that is proper cable wired correctly into the installation and not just some trailing wire plugged into a socket. The only problem you may have is the bell signal which can be sorted by disconnecting it on the master socket, the fact that you will be using ADSL filters on the sockets eliminates the problems usually caused by not having the bell signal present.

Merv

Have just installed broadband for my dad - the recommendation was
1)Use master telephone socket (BT/AOL)
2)if using an extension lead,then 10 metre max.

Stuck to both of these,and it works fine (use a good quality lead,and check the connections - these were both RJ11;CAT5 is normally RJ45)

Thnaks again to everyone. I think I'm going to install a good quality extension now, and then if it works for Broadband all good, if not, get the wireless router instead.

thing you have to ask is,
Q) how does the bb get to your place?

a) down a pair of copper wires, so extending it a bit more is usually no problem, but the connections must be "sound"

Igorian said:
I've not come across any problems with BB on extensions
Allenm said:
There is no problem at all using an extension for BB. I am using one right now.
breezer said:
a) down a pair of copper wires, so extending it a bit more is usually no problem
I agree with all of the above. I used the broadband speed checker here before and after moving my PC to the other side of the flat on a 15 metre extension, and there was not a jot of difference. I would suggest you do the same: once you get your broadband do a check with it next to the master socket, then again at the other end of the extension. If there's no change, you won't lose any sleep! ;)

A quick note, just to hopefully save someone, somewhere the hour of head-scratching that I had tonight.......

I purchased an RJ11 to RJ11 extension cable, ran it to the computer modem and then back to the BT master socket. First of all I tested it out using my RJ11 to BT adaptor, then I cut the connector off and hard-wired it into the master socket (sssshhh......) to get my connector losses to an absolute minimum. And then nothing.....

(This is where people who know what they are doing can start shaking their heads slowly in a knowing manner)

Anyway, turns out that the signal on the RJ11 is carried on the middle pair of wires (3 & 4) rather than the 'outer' pair (2 & 5) in the BT socket, so don't just wire like for like.

Its all still narrowband at the moment. Will report back on how the broadband goes when I get it.

breezer said:

a) down a pair of copper wires, so extending it a bit more is usually no problem, but the connections must be "sound"

Makes me laugh when you see the snake oil peddled in some computer shops, BT - > RJ 11 leads with gold plated contacts :LOL:

Agreed (as before).

The signal comes from the exchange, possibly up to a couple of miles. In most cases it then crosses from the telegraph pole to your house via a cable that was installed long before broadband was ever thought of.

I do still think it's always wise to buy the best quality extensions and connectors you can afford, purely because they'll last longer, but the difference in performance will be unnoticeable.

Right - I now have Broadband up and running. Because of where my village is, we were only ever told we'd get a 1Meg service and, according to the connection box, we are running at 1.1 Megs, even with my 15m extension. However, I now have an additional question.

Because of the way I have hard wired the cable that goes into the computer into the BT Master Socket, it has no filter on it. I've got the filters on all the phones though, but my question is, Are the filters just to protect the telephones from the broadband signals, or do they also have a function to protect the broadband modem from telephone signals ? I think it is the former, but would like to be sure......

Sponsored Links
Back