Extension/ Construction checklist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am very new to the world of construction. Currently pricing up a single side extension and a double rear extension.

From experience can anyone let me know what to look out for, any advice would be helpful. I am also looking for some guidance on what to look out for or check when the works commence I.e walking around with a spirite level ensuring walls are stroght...

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, they will but I don't want to put faith in them. I'd rather be in a position to check and question as much as possible

Sponsored Links
there are 2 major things to understand in the world of construction

1) foundation specification which can vary a great deal from quotation to reality

some architects will just do building regs with a standard 1 metre dig shown on the drawing -and thats what builders will normally price for.

Whilst its impossible to know whats under the ground, its possible to get an idea, firstly check for any trees or hedges within say 15 metres and secondly try and find out what your soil type is: if its shrinkable clay then you will likely need deeper foundations esp if trees or hedges are in the zone of influence

2) "contract variations" often called "extras

some builders will quote for everything pretty much and include generous contingencies where there are unknowns, others will provide a basic quote and will charge lots of extras throughout the job.

Construction is one of those things where the finished job wont be exactly as quoted -and you need to understand that now so you are forearmed

If you are "walking around with a spirit level" then you will need to have a detailed specification stating what level :rolleyes: of accuracy and tolerances you are both agreeing to under contract.

Don't forget to cube test the mortar if you want to be really on the ball.

I am also looking for some guidance on what to look out for or check when the works commence
This is not a criticism in any way, but you don’t know what you don’t know…..and there is an awful lot to know in construction.

Your best bet is to try and find an excellent architect / architectural technician who will provide you with very detailed building regulation drawings, that way at least you have something to compare what’s being built with.

And your 2nd best thing is to drive around your area, have a look at some extensions or refurbs being built or just finished, if you like what you see, ask the builder if he would like to quote….and you can ask the house owner for feedback.

Having an extension is stressful, you will have some levels of disagreement with the builder over the period, so you need somebody you will get on with.

And I should add, it’s a 2 way street, customers can make the build process very difficult.

Thank you for the headsup. Defiantly too much for me to master, but I just want to be able to spot the obvious issues and give an impression that I have some idea of what is going on to the contractor.

I have actually been driving around looking at local jobs and getting contact information. I feel builders can be very deciving in terms of providing references will only show the jobs where they have done amazing

Same with all references for anything. The person just refers someone who is going to give a glowing reference, and the person providing the reference can't say anything bad for fear of legal claims afterwards. Totally unreliable as a means of judging suitability and quality.

I feel builders can be very deciving in terms of providing references will only show the jobs where they have done amazing
It is no different to reading reviews on Amazon, you need to read between the lines.

One thing to bear in mind is that how good a job a builder does is significantly influenced by how good a builder is at project management. You would not believe how much organising a building project requires….including a lot from the client.

The problem is that often tradesmen become building contractors and start building extensions but whilst they might be great craftsmen, they aren’t always good at project management.

If it was me, I would pick a one man builder who has a couple of full time guys with him and he does just one project at a time. Larger firms tend to have workers on site and a project manager driving from site to site….it often doesn’t work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back