Extension construction type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a 3 bed semi, 1970s build, brick with white cladding along the front between the ground and top floor windows.

We're looking at extending on the side and want some expert opinions on brick vs wood frame builds. I've got a budget of about £50k. A builder has quoted that it'd be about £45-50k just to build the extension (foundations through to water tight, no internal walls, no finishings, plastering etc) so I'm looking at the option of the cheaper wood frame construction. I've also got a baby due next month, and lacking in bedrooms, so I'm liking the wound of the faster build time scales with wood.

However i have concerns, a family member questioned whether there would be issues with mortgages or insurance if your house is of two build types, any issues i should consider there? Also unfortunately, i can't really be too fussy as the internal space is desperately needed, however i'm struggling to picture the exterior look of it, i feel like it's going to look like a giant shed. What's the best way of making a wood frame extension with cladded exterior look nice and somewhat in keeping? I was tempted to change the white cladding on the front of the house to match the colour of whatever we build, as i don't think that would be hugely expensive compared to building brick.

Any thoughts or advice welcome. I've never had any building work like this one before, relatively new home owner (bought in 2018) so lacking in experience of the whole process. I do already have an Architect working on designs, however I've not yet instructed him to switch from brick to wood.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I did a timber frame extension onto my own masonry construction house. I saved a huge amount on the cost of getting builders in.

The insurance and mortgage companies asked whether the property was majority masonry construction, and I was able to honestly answer yes to that question. However, I did mention that the extension was timber frame and they stated that it wasn't an issue.

A timber frame structure can look like a masonry structure. Render or brick slips can be applied to render carrier board.

If you are near a boundary you must ensure that the requisite 30 mins external fire protection is achieved. This might mean a non combustible sheathing layer or intumescent paint to the sheathing.

My project is in this link. If you need any more advice just ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back