Extension cost and advise..... :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are looking to extend our house as per the attached plans. Can you give us a rough budget we should be aiming for with the dimensions as stated? Can you see any potential issues/problems that we should be made aware of. we have a tight budget and cannot afford for it to over run our contingency. Thanks View media item 23351

Sponsored Links
Hi, we are looking to extend our house as per the attached plans. Can you give us a rough budget we should be aiming for with the dimensions as stated? Can you see any potential issues/problems that we should be made aware of. we have a tight budget and cannot afford for it to over run our contingency. Thanks View media item 23351
hi i guess you should budget about 20,000 grand if you can be bothered to arrange your own trades as and when you need them. arrange your own materials then i could give you a quote for your brickwork and roof you arrange matterials you save quite abit then going to a building firm to do it all..

this looks simillar to what we are doing. we are working on a 20k budget for a weatherproof shell.

a big chunck of your budget will go in ground works, footings and clearing muck. also when digging your footings you may encouter services that may need relocating. gas, electrict, drainage etc...

you can do most of it yourself as long as you know what you are doing.

the best advice i can give you is:

1: Dont be tempted to hire a digger and dig the footings yourself. an experience driver can clear your site and dig your footings in a day or 2.

2: use grab lorries to clear muck, skips are too expensive and you will need loads.

good luck

Sponsored Links
3. put down boards where you'll be dumping the much for the grab lorries.. saves wrecking the drive :)

hi i guess you should budget about 20,000 grand if you can be bothered to arrange your own trades as and when you need them. arrange your own materials then i could give you a quote for your brickwork and roof you arrange matterials you save quite abit then going to a building firm to do it all..
2001, Very difficult to read your drawings , very small print, but found more information on previous post of yours
Appears you are looking to do single storey extension on back with large knock through approx 18ms floor area and two storey extension to side approx 37ms floor area.
Total floor area 55ms. This is going to cost you between £44k and £52k, all labour, all materials, inclusive of VAT. The only reason you will get it down to that money, is it that the job is big enough to get your teeth into.
Pay no attention to the figure what have trowel will travel has told you. God knows where he got that from.
Your not on Janes estate in Barton le Clay by any chance are you.
old un.

Thanks all, we are in barton Le clay, yes. does the figure of £44k and £52k take it to a plaster finish would you say?

Thanks

I agree with Old Bu**er, upwards of 44k will buy you a plastered out building ready for decorating but with little in the way of second fix luxuries such as wardrobes, kitchens or bath suites etc.

Plumbing and electrics maybe included at a squeeze but don't count on it.

52k will buy you electrics and plumbing and some moderate finishing work.

Here's my 2p worth.

I'm also looking for a 2 story side extension and have had 3 more quotes back since yesterday for a plastered finished shell not including kitchen units or bathroom suite. The quotes I've had back from the mainstream builders in the area are coming back between 800-1000 per m2 on both floors making it 40-46kish which seems the norm from the bigger firms who have overheads etc

If you can find a good quality builder who works on his own or with 1 other person (There are plenty) the job will come in a lot cheaper especially if they allow you to use their T&C's to setup a trade account in your name to buy materials as builders put a markup on everything so you can save a bit on materials. You then end up paying 1 or 2 builders labour which from a couple of discussions it turns out for the same job it will come in at around 25k for a finished shell.

I know all the builders on here will say that's impossible, won't be done right etc etc as they want to protect their lively hood which is understandable and we're all out there to make money which is fair enough but these 1 man builders don't have big overheads.

A friends dad setup his own little firm when he was quoted £160k to build a bungalow. He employed 2 builders, a joiner and got a sparky and plumber in when needed. His final cost was 70k and now does jobs for others.

It's just like when I fix PC's for people. PC World charges you £219 for a laptop repair and £99 to backup your data. I replaced a hdd in a laptop. hdd cost £43 and I charged £50 which I thought was being cheeky. £320 from a big established firm or £93 from a 1 man band.

So cut a long story short 800-1000 per m2 is right from many building firms but the 1 or 2 man building firms can come in a lot cheaper and the work is just as good if not better and they don't sub out like a lot of the bigger building firms do. It might take a bit longer to build and you have to do some of the organising etc but big savings are there to be made

Yes this may upset people and the builders on here will say that it's not possible but there is a HUGE profit made in building

i have had 3 quotes back ranging from 63 to 79!! YIKES
:(

:eek:

When we got our windows and conservatory we used a small family run business who were highly recommended. Can't remember exact cost but conservatory was roughly 11k (4m x 3m) and windows were 3k. Our highest quote was 21k and 6.5k.

Shop around, drive round to see who is getting work done in your area and who by, look for builders who maybe have 1 other helper and no big overheads to pay for. Plenty of good tradesmen out there looking for work in the current recession

Yes this may upset people and the builders on here will say that it's not possible but there is a HUGE profit made in building

You forgot to say it's really easy money as well steveb, short days, steady work, not affected by weather, physically easy, no ever changing legislation, etc. Cheers for the laugh, your post really made me smile :LOL:

[quote="hotrod]

You forgot to say it's really easy money as well steveb, short days, steady work, not affected by weather, physically easy, no ever changing legislation, etc. Cheers for the laugh, your post really made me smile :LOL:[/quote]

Well i wouldn't say easy money but u might. Should i get the violin out for you......

Steady work. Normally if you have a good reputation

Short days? Depends how hard they work.

I worked outdoors when i was a boy. If it rained i put a coat oni

Like i said many builders will disagree but the fact is there is a lot of profit in it when doing extensions. Just like farmers always say they are poor. Never seen a poor farmer yet lol. Like it or not it's up to you.

Legislation is forever changing in many a profession

I take it your a builder who charges 1000m2. That's fair enough. Building prices went sky high when we were in the housing boom and builders increased the prices by a large margin as they could get away with it. Problem is as house prices declined building prices for many haven't

it's not just the builders getting wet that he's on about..
as far as i'm aware, you can't pour concrete if it's freezing or lower outside, you have to be carefull when pouring if it's too hot ( drys out rather than sets i think.. ), you can't lay bricks / blocks when it's raining too hard ( the mortar gets sloppy or something. ) and so on..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back