Extension cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a quote for about £1200 per square metre for a ground floor extension. This will cover:

Finished state of a flat roof shell extension which will include:
Painting, white UPVC windows and doors, fitting of any roof lanterns (but not the cost of the lanterns), upto £60 for each internal door and £15 door frame, upto £2 per metre for MDF skirting, labour cost of fitting the kitchen and floor tiles (I supply kitchen and tiles)
Electrics and underfloor heating
External smooth rendered or brick facing upto max 50p per brick
Foundation covered up to 1m deep

We will be doing other work to the house but breaking it down into sections, does this cost sound reasonable (I think it is)? I am based in the SE. I have known the builder for a long time and have seen his work. He has told me this will be to a high finish rather than standard finish.

Sponsored Links
Knowing a builder and having seen his work is arguably invaluable, price sounds ok, a good set of drawings will ensure any extras are minimized.

What do you regard as a good set of drawings? My old style architect has given me two A1 size plans for the hitting out of the whole house inc the extension (he's done the structural calcs too as an engineer) but doesn't do CAD therefore I'm missing all the stuff that some architects produce (30-40 pages of construction drawings).

A good set of drawings tells the builder what to do and what to price for, rather than having him scratching his head. It does not have to be reams of paper to make you think you're getting something for the fees.

How things are put together always helps instead of 10 standard details copied from job to job. And things like beams that are drawn in the right place and do not stick out of the roof if built as per plan.

Accurate dimensioning, openings that work bricks, wallplates that allow for the ceilings at the correct level, drain layouts that are really there not guessed, cavity trays where they should be, door, window and lintel schedules.

Sponsored Links
Can a template for this be downloaded off the internet?
In fact where can I get all legal contract templates etc from?

Thx.

A template for your specific extension plans? :rolleyes:

I know a search on "domestic building contract" works

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back