Extension - dodgy brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have seen a house extension where the new bricks were not cut into the existing wall and there is a straight vertical line of mortar at the junction between the new/old wall. The vertical junction was hidden behind a drainpipe. Has this been done on the cheap? The explanation from the owner was that this was an alternative technique (and that the extension was built on a steel sheet) so that the extension is solid. We're looking to buy the house but are worried that this is dodgy....are we right?

Sponsored Links
in some instances b.c actually prefer builders to use stainless steel wallstarters over tooth bonded brick work, though i have to say, done correctly tooth bond looks better.

where an older property has settled on its foundations, joining a new extension, can cause differential problems, as the newer build obviously hasn't.

b.c. don't want to see tooth bonded bricks cracking due to the settlement differences.

Thanks all for your thoughts............Do you know if tooth bonding can be done retrospectively (say 5-6yrs after the extension was built ) by grinding out the bricks and repointing.? The adjoining bricks, across the junction, look aligned..suggesting there has been little subsidence (?)
[The cosmetic thing would grate on me, and the same question would be asked if we had to sell it on]

Sponsored Links
brick work is largely cosmetic apart from holding the window frames in place.

so, yes the tooth bonding can be done retro', though when grinding out the bricks, you will have the steel wall starter to contend with.

this will be a right bu**er

I'd have thought it'd be a lot of expense, hassle and mess for very little benefit. You'll never get the new brickwork to match whats already there (even if you match the bricks exactly, the chances of getting the same sand for the mortar and the same mix are pretty slim, ignoring the 6 years of weathering the existing has had) so you'll just be swapping one visible join for another. It's probably inevitable that the surrounding brickwork would get damaged during the work as well, so you could end up with the join being evem more noticeable than it is now.

Selling the house on won't be a problem. A wall starter is a perfectly normal way of doing this, fully accepted by building control. Nothing to worry about.

I’d agree it’s not worth the hassle; think yourself lucky, I recently replaced the entire front wall on a 1960’s extension & there were 2 doors abutting the original house brickwork, when I strung a line across from the opposite corner of the extension I found it was a ½ brick out; I dug down below the damp course only to find that was the same. Short of knocking it all down there was nothing I could do about it so I just used a wall starter & carried on. If it ain’t moved don’t worry about it & just put the drain pipe back where it was!

Richard C said:
I’d agree it’s not worth the hassle; think yourself lucky, I recently replaced the entire front wall on a 1960’s extension & there were 2 doors abutting the original house brickwork, when I strung a line across from the opposite corner of the extension I found it was a ½ brick out; I dug down below the damp course only to find that was the same. Short of knocking it all down there was nothing I could do about it so I just used a wall starter & carried on. If it ain’t moved don’t worry about it & just put the drain pipe back where it was!
Ah, the Golden 60`s :evil: £££££££££ rough as a bears arse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back