Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,just wondering if anyone can help, we have recently had a two storey extension built and are worried about a few things, cracks keep reappearing both vertical and horizontal, these are only thread line but they are appearing on celings and walls both solid and stud walls, downstairs solid wall is slightly bowed with the floorboards bulging up in the middle of this room, this is in the origonal part of the house . stud wall is also bowed , the rest of the flooring seems to creaking and dipping everywhere ,3mm under light furniture ,also the up stairs floorboards are dipping in various places, and some rooms wobble in the old part, floor going into the upstairs extension visible sloops, have been assured that it's all just discrepancies ,is this right or should I be worried, any advice much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I would say movement in the "old" part of the house is wrong. I think a picture or two would help as would a sketch of the new arrangement.
Frank

Did you pay for an extension to come with discrepancies or without?

If the latter, then they should be rectified, or you refunded the cost between work done properly and to standards and work done poorly and not to standards.

You seem to have quality issues indicative of poor workmanship.

Thanks for the responses, so you don't think that this could be heave

Sponsored Links
Now there are floorboards rising in another room and celing cracks which are dipping along the lines of the cracks ,also tyles in the bathroom have cracked from celing to floor. Thanks again

Why do you say that it could be a sinkhole, that is scary

Perhaps I should grab the kids and run seriously I am seeing something new all the time .can't afford a SE at the moment

sinkhole is unlikely. Are you in an area of old mines?

How about those photos and sketches?

Presumably the plans were approved by building control. Did an inspector look at the foundations and visit during build?

If you have not got copies of the plans they will be on file at the council website and you can view and download them. Probably in the "planning" section. Don't publish your name and address on here.

Have you paid the bill? How?

Was an architect, draughtsman or designer involved?

All the right people were involved, architects,building control etc, but still having problems .no mines in this area and no burial ground either. Could bad workman ship have caused so much damage, in which case does that mean that my floors are buckling due to structure issues or if there is heave in the original part of the house could this have been caused by the extension being built.

Floors are bulging in more rooms now ,even upstairs, where they are not bulging they seem loose ,is this a sign that the house is going to collapse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back