Tricks or tips to cover uneven mortar lines after extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

Just wondering if anyone has any hints or tips or ideas on how to cover uneven mortar lines in brickwork. We're in the process of having an extension built but unfortunately where the new extension meets the old house, it's likely that the mortar lines will not line up because the existing house brickwork is not 100% level. The builder is going to level at one side but by the time he gets round to the other it'll be out of line if he builds the new extension straight. (think of a C shape being bolted onto the side of an existing square).

I've the option of the builder doing the new brickwork wonky to match and losing the difference at the window but didnt like the sound of that, so am looking for ideas on covering the join.

Render or painting is probably out of the question as the join is 3m down along a wall that runs the length of the house and I didnt want the new extension rendered or painted (the house desperately needs some character features).

Trailing wall plant is my next thought but have heard bad stories about wall clinging plants and the area is pretty shaded. So, any tricks of the trade?

Thanks in advance
Steve

Sponsored Links
Sunflowers in a pot. These will be OK for the height of a single storey and always make people smile.

Me, I just think that if everything was meant to line up and be the same, it would be made of plastic in a factory.

Sponsored Links
Sunflowers in a pot. These will be OK for the height of a single storey and always make people smile.

Me, I just think that if everything was meant to line up and be the same, it would be made of plastic in a factory.
:) Great way to think about it! Im not expecting it to look perfect, but just try to make it less obvious. Single storey is good for us as it's a bungalow.
Thanks alot.

Out of interest what is an RWP? Recycled wood product?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back