Extension - Drain

EBS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just started work on my extension and there is a drain running across the corner of the trench where foundations are dug. I had CCTV invetigation and have a buildover agreement. Builders feel additional steel in a pad and beam design should cover this but structural engineers are saying this is an error in the CCTV report. Has anyone experience of this? Should I be pushing on structural engineers for calcs? Is it likely I'll have to submit a second buildover agreement?

Attachments

• 09f2d85c-0bab-48e2-bf91-30b605add039 (1).jpeg
    09f2d85c-0bab-48e2-bf91-30b605add039 (1).jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
That’s a right pain in the arze for you.

what size is the drain, what’s the invert level

is there an option to move it outside

I assume it’s a public drain not just your private drain.

I don't know the answers to those at the mo. Only found it Friday. I believe it is public. It was identified on one side initily but we weren't expecting it to cross here.
In terms of it being an option to move it, would that option be given by Thames water?

Dig deeper than the drain. Dig wider and shutter the drain then concrete over. Are those foundation trenches wide enough in any case?

Sponsored Links
You are presumably working under Regs so dont do anything else until BCO has given an opinion.
BCO has to visit & will make a trench inspection on the suitability of the trench ground conditions for a foundation.
Definitely dont go foolish & "concrete over" - BCO could make you crack out any concrete for a clear view of whats been covered.

If you are allowed to move/reroute the pipe then some BCO's will want to have a look (esp blanking off any redundant sections of pipe) when you do the actual work of re-routing.

I don't know the answers to those at the mo. Only found it Friday. I believe it is public. It was identified on one side initily but we weren't expecting it to cross here.
In terms of it being an option to move it, would that option be given by Thames water?
You can only move it outside of the building footprint as long as it is feasible. Otherwise it will have to stay.

Here is one we built over earlier...

We renewed the pipe in plastic and stuck an IC at the end.

Post #6,
why are you shouting? Do you need help? Are you drowning or waving?

OP said: "but structural engineers are saying this is an error in the CCTV report"
OP said: "Is it likely I'll have to submit a second buildover agreement?"
OP also said: "but we weren't expecting it to cross here"
OP further said: "In terms of it being an option to move it, would that be an option given by Thames water?"

I've always found it useful to actually read posts.

Just like you read and replied to the shed base concrete thread ? - and got it locked :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back