Pocketing in steel ground beam into wall of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

i'm embarking on a DIY extension and have all of the relevant planning permissions and building regs process in place.

It's a timber frame structure so relatively lightweight - as such the structural engineer has designed galv. steel ground beams instead of digging out trenches in made ground.
I had the pad foundations signed off and they are being poured this week so the next job is steel.
I need to pocket 152 x 152 steel on a 300 x 150 x 100d padstone onto the existing house wall as advised by the engineer.

Any issues breaking / cutting out a 300mm square into one skin of the existing house? From what i've read, a hole of this size shouldnt be an issue but wanted to get some collective advice

Thanks
S

Sponsored Links
You'll have no problem making a 300mm opening - a masonry wall will typically self-support over a span of 900mm or so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back