Extension Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents single storey extension the roof flashing has started to drop down and leave gaps for water to ingress. The flashing has been nailed on using polyps via the plastic cladding as shown using about 3 nails per length. Looks like during the summer the weight of the lead and being hot and softer has pulled through these nails. Has this been installed correctly and what can I do to remedy this and make sure it doesn't happen in future.

Attachments

• 20220705_153626.jpg
    20220705_153626.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 116
  • 20220705_153607.jpg
    20220705_153607.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
Its very incorrect. Fixings should be copper clout nails and straps holding the lower edge down and in place, the cladding should be lower to give cover .. no venting??
and just as concerning the side lap on the flashings appear very short

All off and start again

Thanks much appreciated, do you have an image of how it should look or a diagram,

Sponsored Links
There's probably better details to find, this is tiles instead of upvc but should give an idea of how it should be, who knows what you do or don't have going on behind that cladding.

gerard-aspen-gr-hw-370-dt20210115111237856.png

Last edited:
I believe there are vertical wooden battens behind the cladding attached to block work, probably space where they have nailed the lead..

I don't think there is any venting but I will go back up to double check.

No there won't be any venting, it looks like the upvc has been fixed straight over the lead which is all kinds of wrong.

Apart from the lead dropping down as it has, what other problems are caused by them doing it this way. By the way the extension is about 5years old. Also the pvc fascia were up before extension was built.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back