extension footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i have a question,i am planning on having a double side extention,the space available is 2.3m upto the boundary fence which is mine.I understand that the rootings need to be 600 wide and as deep as i need to go.My problem is my neigbour have attached there carport to the fence on there side,i want to take the fence down and replace the boundary fence with wall from my extention.The question is as i want to go right up to the boundary do the footings have to be 150 into there side or lay footings and lay bricks from edge of footings or do i have to be in 150 from edge of footing .hope all this makes sense

Sponsored Links
dilly, your new wall needs to be in the middle of the foundation. Therefore, if the foundation is 600wide and the wall 300mm wide then you will have to have either a 150mm gap or extend the foundation 150 onto your neighbours side.

One option might be to make the foundation narrower, but this depends on soil and ground conditions?

To build directly on the boundary you will need to serve a party wall notice on your neighbour. This would allow you to remove fencing and alter your neighbours extension if necessary and build the extended foundation onto your neighbours side.

thanks jed,does the notice of my intentions have to be done through solicter?as i understand the fence is mine (to maintain),its pretty knackered and falling down in places this is due to weight of carport they have connected to the fence and all the heavy objects placed upon it on there side so could i not say i am replacing it (to improve) i understand i will need to go under there land lets say by 3 inches but build the wall say 1 inch away from the boundary

No you don't need a solicitor. If you want to build right up to the boundary you should serve a notice. It can be done by anybody but to be valid you must get it right. If your neighbour is agreeable to the work then get them to agree it in writing and that's all you need do. It's all about letting them know what you are going to do and how you will go about doing it. Their response depends on how you get along with them. If it's amicable and you are not going to be causing them any worry with digging right on the boundary then it shouldn't be too bad.

The danger of not serving notice is that next door panics when you start digging and they can get the work stopped because you've not served notice. As I say, it depends a lot on how well you get on with them.

Sponsored Links
thanks again jed,we do get on with them,but as there carport is ataached to the fence i know they will panic as one thing they dont like doing is spend money on anything and they will have to make it self supporting,am i right in thinking b4 they attached there carport they should have asked me as it is my fence,also when you say i need to put it in writing to them how do i make sure it is worded correctly and if they do object how long b4 i can remove my fence

Give this guide a good read. In your circumstances you ought to be able to keep it to a minimum. Main thing is to let them know what you are doing and how it might affect them - or rather, what you will be doing to make sure they are not affected.

If you want to change their carport then you will have to pay for it and do any making good at your expense. The fact that they attached to your fence (which they shouldn't have done) is a separate matter.

Money is usually the main worry for neighbours and to make sure the excavation is not going to cause them any damage. It might be prudent to tell them that you will make their carport good afterwards - and that it will be better than before. And all at no cost to them.

Ideally you should take some professional advice on the the foundation so that you can assure your neigbour that it has been properly designed and will not cause them any damage.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/133214.pdf

Thanks for all your advise i will read the document and see how i get on.

dilly, your new wall needs to be in the middle of the foundation. Therefore, if the foundation is 600wide and the wall 300mm wide then you will have to have either a 150mm gap or extend the foundation 150 onto your neighbours side.

Jeds,

Not seen it for a while as never needed it anywhere - But, one way of building up to the boundary without having to Trespass with your foundations was to dig the correct width of foundation and then use a trench fill foundation. So you can come off the edge on this (only if OK with your BC officer!).

I never liked it myself but accepted it could work especially in terraced areas where everyone was building extensions back to back right up to the boundaries

Word of warning to the OP - You should not overhang your neighbours side with projections such as verge tiling etc if it is literally brickwork to the boundary edge. You may have no right of access to build the wall and overhand brickwork is not nice. Be Nice to your neighbour :D

Your footing needs to be CENTERED underneath whatever you build on top so it doesn't settle crooked

Your footing needs to be CENTERED underneath whatever you build on top so it doesn't settle crooked

As a generalisation I agree. Certainly so with conventional strip footings.

But you will find in the UK in certain conditions some deviation from this has been allowed. In this instance I trust you will have noted that a trench fill would be used. With the return ends this has a limiting effect on the Rotation. Other non centred foundations are Rafts.

I may be deaf but there is no need to shout.

An engineer can design the footings to compensate, usually meaning more 'crete. But not that much.

Thanks gentleman the issue is now resolved,There gonna let me do what i need to.Had around today to reassure them,Seems like they were more worried about their security than the work.
so thanks for your inputs much appreciated

Word of warning to the OP - You should not overhang your neighbours side with projections such as verge tiling etc

i think this statement bears more relavance than any so far.

In my experience there are few buildings that have a truly flat elevation, there are always overhangs. Whether these are window sills, cloak, soffit, gutter etc, they are all relevant to trespass.

With the above information in mind common law and common sense says set the building back 150mm from the boundary FULL STOP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back