Extension in stages

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
In the early stages of planning my extension and am hoping to do the groundwork, footings,drains and up to dpc myself. May also do the cavity brickwork but will see at the time. The job can be split into sections which although not ideal will give me more chance of being able to break it into manageable chunks, obviously was planning on pouring the foundations in one go but would it be OK to say build up one section and add the garage on the side at a later stage building off it using wall starters?

Sponsored Links
To ask it in a better way, if you get planning permission for several sections which can be done separately for whatever reason, are you generally OK to pour separate footings and treat each one like a separate extension, if you don't build the whole lot in one go? Strange question I know but trying to break it down due to time and budget, in my case it would "work" as the garage would be a single storey extension to a two storey which could be built first.
Any info appreciated as always
Cheers
John

Unless it states otherwise in your planning approval, yes.

Sponsored Links
You might want to think about it as a building regs question too. What are you going to ask them to inspect each time they visit? Are you going to pay to break the job down in to multiple separate regs applications? Does your LA charge extra for this (my understanding is that it varies...)

I'd do it all under one application, there's no time limit and I can dictate the order I do things and can finish bits before others. (I think). You're right though I will need to have that chat with the bco but the q was more around structurally was it OK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back