Staged payment breakdown for an extension shell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope some can help. I am hopefully about to instruct a builder to build a shell for what will be a 2 story side extension and a single story front extension.

The build will be for foundations, drainage, block work walls, roofing and fitting windows to the whole property (supplied by me). There is no internal work, electrics, plumbing plastering etc. this is just for a watertight shell.

I would like to ask the builder to formally put together a schedule of works and agree some stage payments at various stages. Obviously I don't want these payments to be front loaded so wondered if anyone has any experience of this. Ideally if someone could give me some rough percentages which should be applied to each section of the build I would be really grateful. I'm sure the builder will come up with what he is after I just want to make sure he is roughly charging the right amount.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Had 5 quotes now from various builders but none of them detail the staged payments. Now I'm in a position to agree a deal with a builder I am after advice if anyone else has found themselves in the same position.

Anyone else? Surely there has to be an approximate rule of thumb.

Well ask them how they want to stage the payments? :rolleyes:

In my experience every builder is different, some take the mick others are reasonable.

Most are negotiable.

If you've got a good set of Regs drawings then you don't need a schedule of works, the drawings become the contract. I can't see a builder doing a schedule of works for you.

Sponsored Links
I can't see a builder doing a schedule of works for you.
Me neither.

He should be explicit about finances though.

We tend to ask for payment when stages have been signed off or when there is value in both materials delivered and work done.

It would be sensible to have a draw once foundation is poured, over-site complete, ground floor lintel lift complete, floor joists fitted, first floor lintel lift complete, roof carcass complete, roof tiled in etc.

We have an agreement with our current client that we just bill at the end of the month and/or when a large purchase has been completed.

I'm due a big fat one now. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back