Extension is 7cm short of spec

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My builder has poured the foundations and laid 2 layers of concrete block. I have measured it and it is about 7cm short. When i spoke to him he said that they work to the nearest half block to avoid having irregular sized blocks which made it come up a bit short.

Is this correct or is he covering for getting the measurements wrong?

If this is correct it not a massive deal but if he has measured incorrectly and i am being lied to then it. He seems like a good guy and don't want to call him out unnecessarily early in the build.

Thanks of anyone can advise.

Sponsored Links
Is this correct or is he covering for getting the measurements wrong?

He's talking crap.

Too lazy to cut blocks
Too inept to gauge the wall out
Too stupid to read drawings.

Take your pick.

When you pay him, tell him you round down to the nearest £500.

I thought so, probably the first and second one. He has done work for me in the past and has been alright but this is a concern at the start of the build especially with something so fundamental as the size. It fairly simple, 10m x 4m.

Not sure if I should get him to pull it all up and start again. That will make the rest of the build very uncomfortable and then no grace on his part no doubt if other things crop up.

Sponsored Links
not 100% but brick i think then dpc... then brick again.

Now that's it's short, how does the alignment of that wall fit in with the main house?

What about spacing of walls either side of openings, internal and external?

Kitchen units if a kitchen?

Its 10m wide and it is full width of the house which is fine that will be toothed in.

It goes out by 4m or in this case 3.93m there are no doors on that sides the 4m bits.

It might effect the kitchen, I'm not sure how much space they have allowed for..the kitchen company will be coming to measure once the walls have gone up before making the final arrangements so not a show stopper but will be a pain.

He said that he could make some of the space back by applying the plaster straight to internal facing blockwork to save the the battern and plaster board space.

battern and plaster board space.
That's unusual for a builder to do batten and board, do your drawings ask for this?
A service void is a better way of doing things but it does cost more.

That's unusual for a builder to do batten and board, do your drawings ask for this?
A service void is a better way of doing things but it does cost more.
It's probably board on dabs that I meant, but the drawings aren't specific on how the plaster is to be applied.

Dry lining or boards on dabs, is normally part of achieving the required insulation value. So depending on what cavity insulation and blocks are used, may determine how the walls are finished. Your drawings should certainly specify the internal finishing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back