Extension joining the new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guy's,

Just a quick question, what is the normal method of closing the gap externally from where the new extension meets the original house?
Is it just a matter of using silicone or mortar pointing?

Sponsored Links
Is it a movement/ expansion joint? If so fill it with polysulphide sealant.

Not sure, its just where the new extension meets the existing house.

Sponsored Links
Yep.
Where the new brick butts up against the old.
I'd say its about 10mm.

If you're describing what I think you are then it should be 10mm wide and filled with mortar, and ideally every other brick will be stitched in to the old brick work.

Can you take a photo?

It sounds like an expansion joint, which usually have a piece of foam/ soft fibre like board in them but it doesn't neccessarily need to have anything in it but at the very least should be sealed to make it weathertight. Fill it with polysulphide sealant.

they've used a wall starter which is like a rail which is drilled, plugged and screwed into the existing masonry and has ties supplied which slide into the rail. This technically isn't a movement joint, but becuase it is a new addition to the building with a new foundation etc. it is the most likely point of initial settlement. Therefore i would use a matching colour external use silicone to allow for settlement of the new addition. Mortar will crack and need replacing should settlement occur.

do you mean the starter system or the idividual ties? i use the system(rails), not necessarily staifix, for extensions and the individual ties for blocking up old windows and things where you struggle to fit a full rail in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back