How should I plug gaps where new breeze block wall meets old bricks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - this chilly weather has highlighted some drafts in my new kitchen extension!

I have a new external wall that runs along one side of the kitchen and then meets the original victorian brick wall (that used to be exterior) at right angles to form a corner of the room. I don't know exactly the construction of the new external wal, but on the inside I can see breeze blocks and on the outside I can see yellow stock bricks.

Right at the corner, where the breeze blocks meet the original external wall, there are gaps where the mortar is a bit sloppy and I can feel cold drafts through the holes. The air is really cold, so I believe it's coming from outside.

I've attached photos taken from inside the kitchen. In the photo, you might be able to see something shiny deep in one of the holes - that's not light from the outside, but some sort of metal fixing that seems to run vertically at the join.

So I've got two questions:
1) How should these two walls have been 'joined' so that the corner would be insulated? I presume that at corners I'm not just relying on mortar for insulation, am I?
2) What's the best way to plug up these holes to make for a well insulated home?

20210208_115410.jpg 20210208_115422.jpg 20210208_115428.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I'm not going to be plastering it though. I'm going to put a green wall on it, which starts with a sort of plastic board screwed/fixed to the breeze block. So I'll need to fill the gaps first.

So should I just use bonding to seal the holes.?

I'm surprised that we go to all this effort to thermally insulate the walls, but then not too bothered about creating a seal between insulation at the edges/corners. I realise that the area of the wall is massive compared to the edge, but I was under the impression that even small 'leaks' in your insulation can have a massive impact. Same logic as to why these tiny gaps are contributing to my whole room being 5 degrees or so lower.

Sponsored Links
Flexible caulk or a polymer mastic.
Gouge it out a little first to remove any loose grains and allow more of the sealant in to bond and seal the gap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back