New brick wall meets old brick wall

The plans do not show this extra half brick column on the left corner of the front elevation. Is this something the building inspector may take exception on?
You first said it's a wall, now it's a column. o_O

Anyway the building inspector won't mind but if it's part of the work then it has to be built to a satisfactory standard.

Sponsored Links
You first said it's a wall, now it's a column
It is an extra half brick width wise, sticking out of the corner of the wall, thereby making a column all the way to the top. I drew a diagram on the previous page. Sorry for the confusion.

Because house and extension are built at different times, different construction methods, prob different foundation spec.

A flexible joint is therefore best. Known as a 'firfix' in the trade.
Hopefully new foundation based on current building regs which are not based on an allowable settlement figure hence structure should stay put. Aesthetically toothed joints every time if marrying into flush brickwork but each to their own.

Sponsored Links
Toothing out used to be the standard method for an extension, but it was always known to create a 'plane of weakness', even when used in newbuilds.
Nowadays to step back the brickwork and use a wall starter kit is the preferred method, as you are not stuck with the existing gauge.
When building on a clay soil or similar you will always get a certain amount of settlement, so there is a fair chance of getting a crack in the brickwork through the toothing.
I have done some extensions in Sussex years ago on solid chalk years ago where I toothed in and there wasn't a problem(at least till the cheque cleared),
so I suppose it depends on ground conditions, but in many cases there will be enough settlement to cause a problem.

it was always known to create a 'plane of weakness'

Why is this? Is it because the wall isn't tied in to the inner leaf properly or that you're removing a return on the wall, or just that you're cutting the wall in the first place?

A soft movement joint sealed with polysulphide sealant on polyethelene caulking.

Why is this? Is it because the wall isn't tied in to the inner leaf properly or that you're removing a return on the wall, or just that you're cutting the wall in the first place?
When you lay bricks the bed joints are compressed. With toothing every other joint joint isn't compressed by the brick above, so the joint needs to be carefully packed in with mortar, but it's never quite the same as being built as part of the wall.

Nowadays to step back the brickwork and use a wall starter kit is the preferred method, as you are not stuck with the existing gauge.

So then you will see a precise vertical join where old wall meets new wall?

My builder was adamant that this would certainly fail building regs, when I asked him to do it exactly like this. It was the sole reason why he had to build the abomination he did.

Yeah, now back to reality and new walls on new foundations move every single time.
Well here's my reality. My extension done 5 years ago and neighbours extension done 25 years ago with brickwork toothed in, not sure what happened with the crocodile wall connection, perhaps its moved??

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 111
Well here's my reality. My extension done 5 years ago and neighbours extension done 25 years ago with brickwork toothed in, not sure what happened with the crocodile wall connection, perhaps its moved??
Lovely. What address shall I send the gold star to?

I'll also mention it at my next conference and organise some coach tours for all the UK building inspectors who have been doing it wrong for all this time. Get a big box of teabags.(y)

Lovely. What address shall I send the gold star to?

I'll also mention it at my next conference and organise some coach tours for all the UK building inspectors who have been doing it wrong for all this time. Get a big box of teabags.(y)

Woody don't take it so bad, its just another of your very useful comments that you plant on the forumn for everyones education and amusement shot down in flames. I am just looking at your comments on Akists post about wall tolerances and I am sure everyone would agree that your succient comments or of great benefit to the questions raised.
P.S. make sure you bring some doughnuts with teabags as well as yourself

Just to recap, two walls can be connected with a toothed joint, or with wall ties and a vertical joint, or with a joint of bricks cut to different sizes - and all that is perfectly acceptable and not fall foul of building regs?

Akis

Just to recap, two walls can be connected with a toothed joint,
Apparantly so.

On the basis of one picture posted on a forum, the whole national building control regime is thrown into disarray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back