New brick wall meets old brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have built a new brick wall that joins an existing wall at right angles. Right up to the corner where the two walls meet, by bad design, the brick layouts do not match, so that we have two halves at the same level, and above we have two wholes at the same level etc. I proposed that we cut them vertically and we join them, even with wall ties in between, but I was told that would create a "rip joint", which is not building regs friendly.

What we have done instead is we extended the new wall to go just past the corner with the old wall, and then create a new corner, right up to the old wall and with the right angled bricks trimmed about 1-2cm because that's how it has worked out.

Can you please advise me if this construction is sane? I have drawn a top-down view.

Attachments

• test.pdf
    15.8 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links
Hmm maybe he used another term...

It is when you join two walls with a vertical join (straight vertical line), rather than with a meshed joint. I do not know the builders terms.

Hmm maybe he used another term...

It is when you join two walls with a vertical join (straight vertical line), rather than with a meshed joint. I do not know the builders terms.
But that's almost every single house extension.

Sponsored Links
No wait, in a proper extension you mesh the bricks on the old and new part so the join is jagged. Toothed. You remove the half end bricks on the old part and insert new whole bricks from the new part so the two parts are meshed together like a zip.

No wait, in a proper extension you mesh the bricks on the old and new part so the join is jagged. Toothed. You remove the half end bricks on the old part and insert new whole bricks from the new part so the two parts are meshed together like a zip.
No you don't.

In a proper extension, you need to allow for the extension to move, so toothing is not used, and flexible ties are used instead.

And I am still (quite) confused, is what we have done a "rejection" in the eyes of the building inspector? This is crucial for me, because we may have to rebuild the front elevation from scratch if yes.

And I am still (quite) confused, is what we have done a "rejection" in the eyes of the building inspector? This is crucial for me, because we may have to rebuild the front elevation from scratch if yes.
What do the plans say?

Yes you do, why would you want your extension to move
Because house and extension are built at different times, different construction methods, prob different foundation spec.

A flexible joint is therefore best. Known as a 'firfix' in the trade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back