Extension Ladder Duty Ratings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to buy a better ladder than the one I have since its not quite tall enough and also doesn't feel particularly stable when fully extended. (It wobbles/flexes as I get to the higher rungs which scares me a bit).

I've read around and I understand that there are 3 duty ratings - I'm sure my existing ladder bought in Homebase is a domestic type ladder. All the info states that the only difference between the different classes is about how much total weight they can support.

My question is about do the class 1 ladders _feel_ studier? e.g. are the rungs wider etc and the ladder maybe wobbles less than a cheap domestic ladder? OR is there no noticeable difference between the class types other than the theory that the class 1 can take more weight?

Sponsored Links
Is it really a dumb question (even if asked a while ago) ? Any advice on this ? Finally now getting round to buying a ladder.

Not dumb at all - I`ve been up more ladders than I care to remember - and I know the ones you mean :evil: It`s all in the construction of the tread/stile - cheapo ones fret loose and are only fit for scrap aluminium - BUT you don`t necesarily need brand new @ ££££££ . Firms quite often replace Heavy Duty ladders @ certain periods of time because H+Safety :rolleyes: decrees it . Use your loaf and a "internet auction site" and you`ll get a good one @ a good price

Indeed. The heavier duty, the longer lasting it will be.

Also, on a personal note as I'm now carrying three more stone than I should be, I find narrow treaded ladders absolute murder on my feet for more than a few minutes. The better built ones tend to have wider treads and intended for more than casual use.

Seriously, ten minutes up a narrow treaded ladder leaves me with sore feet for days. I was up and down them like a ferret at one point with no problem at all.

Sponsored Links
My question is about do the class 1 ladders _feel_ studier? e.g. are the rungs wider etc and the ladder maybe wobbles less than a cheap domestic ladder? OR is there no noticeable difference between the class types other than the theory that the class 1 can take more weight?

Class 1 ladders have heavier stiles, are wider, and generally have the D type rungs which are more comfortable too stand on.
Much more stable than the domestic ladder especially when fully extended.

http://www.ladders-direct.com/acatalog/ladder-certification.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back