Extension lead for small solar fountain/pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small fountain in my garden pond driven by a solar panel. The lead is only 2m long so I’d like to extend it, but the one I got the connectors are too big (for a grown-up solar panel, not a 2” x 3” one!)

it’s a Solar Pump BP250, 4.5~12v.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I could if I knew what sort of flex and what sort of joiners to buy! I could actually do the job, but I'd be guessing at the kit!

Is it possible to open the pump ?
Rather than extend a too short 2M cable it would be better to replace the whole cable

Sponsored Links
Thinking that there is a small 2 pin plug moulded on the end of the cable Tiger

Hmm, I think that end (which sits in the pond) is moulded. Although I'd agree that replacing the entire cable would be a good idea!

can you solder, if yes extend the cable by soldering and covering with heatshrink sleeving and as i presume this is a pump that runs off a few solar volts then the cheap cable sold as speaker wire will be ok unless you want to add lots of metres

pics will help

Sureitsoff? - love the name- I will see if I can work out how to post pictures. I can't but think it can't be THAT difficult! I can solder, and yes, it, this bloody pump, runs off barely any volts. Ironically, I work with lots of volts at work, linear accelerators, millions of volts. But a solar fountain has foxed me....

Extension cables (with suitable plugs and sockets) OUGHT to be available from the supplier for any such product.
If not (as is probable), the problem is that there are many different sizes/standards for such products so you may not (easily) be able to purchase a suitable "extension lead"!

However, you could seek and purchase TWO pairs of "Inline Cable Couplers" (such as these at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161878152497?hash=item25b0b09531:g:qpIAAOSwvTpZ-Nce&var=460845835963 - or similar) in the two pin version, remove the existing plug and socket, connect one pair to the existing two devices - as appropriate - and make up an extension lead of suitable length with the other pair.

Soldering of these connectors is required - and care with the polarity may be needed.

Unfortunately, these and the lead required may cost more than the cost of the original pump and solar panel.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back