Extension Lead

T

tonyelectric

Heres one for you to ponder, a client had purchased an extension lead (5mtr with 4 way plank) from Homebase. I was putting it round the back of the telly for them when I noticed that on the back it stated

"Max Load 10 Amps"

Plug indeed had 10A fuse, but sockets were allegedly BS1362 and flex was 1.5.

Am i missing something???

Sponsored Links
As long as it has a 10A fuse there is no problem. Although there are loads of extension leads which do not comply with British regulations. The square 4 way normally do but the long strip type will often allow one to put a plug in it upside down so opening the shutters without covering the hole exposed. Plugs also often don't guard the socket enough typical Iphone type for example. But I have not heard of a single case where some one has been injured as a result. So does it really matter? Use a British to Euro adaptor and they then allow contact to live parts in same way. Biggest problem is the extension reel where the un-extended ratting is often as low as 3A and extended ratting is 13A. But to ban them is being silly it time to reduce some of the daft rules and expect people to use common sense.

As above, and as for the rolled up bit, Many years ago was welding on etension lead which was only unrolled a little and guess what happened? A it melted lol
ALSO SOME EXTENSIONS ARE ON 0.75MM CABLE.
Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back