Pressure washer fault, extension lead?

Many thanks, seems I need a special long tool to access some of the Hex screws to get to the cap, so long drive I think!

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, seems I need a special long tool to access some of the Hex screws to get to the cap, so long drive I think!
I got my set of long (150mm) torx bits from e-bay and as its hte sort of thing that possibly only gets used once cheap is usually ok

Sponsored Links
I've had a Lidl one for the past 10 or so years, no problem at all, apart from the rotating jet lance rusted and seized up. A new, less complex lance sorted that.
My Karcher is way better than my Titan ever was and the preceeding Homebase was something in between except it stayed full of water and froze.
I have no idea of any of the model numbers.

Update- helpful engineer in Bolton changed the cap. but reports that motor is on it's last legs so bin it is! Now had 2 Karchers and this Nilfisk -Next?

Ps
Will uprate extension cable for new washer @2700 Watts. Do I need cable rated at 16 amp with 1.5mm core or is that too much?
Thanks

I'm lucky enough to have a choice - both acquired cheap, one probably not legal by current safety standards. If I had to use a "cheap" one I think I'd be disappointed - but everyone has their own set of values when it comes to picking the optimum for them.
My first I got from a farmer I worked for. The setup is about the same age as me and was made by Nixon in Penrith. 3kW motor, 3 cyl CAT pump - no unloader valve so make sure you have a good hold of the lance before switching on. It was being replaced because of a mechanical fault (baseplate not rigid enough, causing misalignment of a spider coupling, which then wore out regularly. He kept the box, I built a new frame, used a Fenaflex coupling, and that was my go-to unit for some time. Powerful == will cut through rendering if the builder was a bit mean with the cement, and as it has no unloader valve, you really don't want to lose your grip on the lance - hence the comment about it probably not being legal any more. Also takes paint off if at all loose. A while later the farmer commented that he wished he'd not sold it as the Karcher he bought was rubbish by comparison.
The second, Girni, was on the pallet with some other surplus stuff I bought from work a couple of jobs back. Didn't have a hose or lance, but at the next county fair I went to, the local agent had a deal on them. Out of curiosity, I asked what sort of price they were - the nearest model was just shy of a grand (without VAT) :eek: It too will cut rendering if the mix was a bit mean - but it does have an unloader valve and trigger lance. Oh, and it had a similar fault - I was using it OK, switched off, switched it on again and it hummed before blowing the fuse (so new cap fixed that).
By comparison, any smaller unit is going to seem tame. On the upside, both of these are heavy enough that they have to be wheeled around, and it's a two man job to get them in/out of the car or trailer (without doing myself an injury). The size/weight also means they don't get used half as often as I would if I had a small portable unit - which would be sufficient to clean the dirt off the underside of the car.

By comparison, any smaller unit is going to seem tame. On the upside, both of these are heavy enough that they have to be wheeled around, and it's a two man job to get them in/out of the car or trailer (without doing myself an injury). The size/weight also means they don't get used half as often as I would if I had a small portable unit - which would be sufficient to clean the dirt off the underside of the car.

I have had around three units over the years, including Karchers. Only my last one has been a survivor. That came from Lidl around ten years ago...

It's a heavy one, mounted in one of those vertical two wheel carts. The lance rotating part seized up within months of purchase and the lance itself split down the side - Lidl refused to do anything about it and replacement lances were around £50. I managed to track down on Ebay, a new compatible replacement, which didn't have any rotating parts to seize - I think I paid around £15 for it. It was also much more robustly built - the Lidl lance was entirely plastic apart from the ends, the new one was made of brass and stainless steel, plastic cased. So now I have the best of both worlds a good robust motor unit combined with a decent lance.

Titan 2700 watt arrived today, looks good, with accessories I'll probably never use!
Does anyone supply an adaptor for an underbody lance from Nilfisk to Titan?
I have the old Nilfisk E 140.2 , if anyone needs parts please let me know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back