Extension Option

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Have the crazy idea that maybe an extension / conservatory to my lovely upper ground flat could be an alternative to moving out as this could give me space for an extra room – mostly Study as per working from home.

Share of the freehold with freeholder being the owner of the block.

Block contain 4 flats.

As per picture, I am on the Upper Ground and curious to gather though and process to look at that project - feasibility / challenges / cost.

You can see from the picture that the bottom flat has a kind of extension - some block have it and some not.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20200907_130826_resized.jpg
    20200907_130826_resized.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200907_130837_resized.jpg
    20200907_130837_resized.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 20200907_130848_resized.jpg
    20200907_130848_resized.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 20200907_130934_resized.jpg
    20200907_130934_resized.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
Probably best speak to the freeholder first, and see if it is possible, then if it is, to the owner of the flat below.
Either might just say no, and if they do, no point in taking things further for now.

So as I see it, you’ll be looking to extend over the extension to the flat below?

Sponsored Links
Who lives below you or is that the freeholder? Planning aside, there could be a lot of work and costs involved in the works, especially if the existing extension isn’t sitting on suitable foundations. The flat roof joists may not be suitable as floor joists and the existing levels may also not tally up resulting in you having a step ‘up’ into this new room.

flat below is tenanted as flat is investment purpose from freeholder. Ok I see what you mean - could be an endless money sinking pot.

If other flats have the lower ground floor extension then presumably some of the upper ground flats above them have already tried this idea. Have a look at the Local online planning register to see how they got on. I don't think it's going to be good news.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back