can ground floor flat build upwards ?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,thanks for previous help.

I am in the process of buying a first floor flat (shared freehold) and during searches our solicitor has found that the ground floor flat has given notice that they want do a wrap around extension,side & rear infill.
There are no plans drawn up or at least that is what I have been told.
Looking at the neighbouring properties,they all have the wrap around extensions and to get the pitched angle they would have to build up to just under my 1st floor windows approx. stealing 1.5m of my exterior wall.

Question is,their pitched roof will be on my property.Will I be responsible for their newly installed roof (some will be glass).

I am fairly ok with loseing 1.5m of external wall space but please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
It depends upon the contract within the freehold.

It could be that everyone shares the structure and any costs for any structural repair are shared, or their may be boundaries set up stating who is responsible for what (for instance the main roof is normally everyone's responsibility not just the top flat).

I would assume that a new extension such as you describe would be their responsibility, unless the roof is also usable by yourself (such as a roof deck/balcony).

It's probably not much to worry about, but see if you can find out what the contractual agreements are.

Put in your own planning app for your 1/2 of a wrap around extension :)

Could make maintenance of your windows / installing a flue / telephone line / cctv much more difficult / expensive if there is a glass roof below your property.

Sponsored Links
All is now sorted out, i have pulled out of the purchase !.

I was invited to a meeting with the ground floor owner (the resident) to find out he is also a builder and a right Pillock.

As he would be my neighbour I decided not to go ahead,better to get out now. :D

Cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back