Flat roof to pitched project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Currently have flat roof on extension (house is middle terrace... both neighbours have pitched main house and flat extension roof) thats reached end of its life and main pitched roof of the original house is 100 years old so needs replacing also.

Came up with idea of pitching the extension roof (obviously will need plans and building regs) and have been talked into in attempting to do plans etc.. myself by father whoose done his own for extensions hes built in the past.

My main concern is whether or not i'm going to need a structural engineer as its a double height extension at the moment - i.e. will the brick walls take the additional weight of a pitched roof? And also I guess some idea (rough) of cost... i'd kinda thought about a grand to do the wooden frame but don't know if thats too low!

Idea is to use pitched roof space as a small boxed bedroom so obviously will go through fire regs etc.. but doing this will be later (if at all) though i'd spec the frame joists etc.. to be large enough timber to act as floor joists.

Thanks in advance!

Matt.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Surely you will lose a small box bedroom installing a stairwell in order to gain a..er.. small box bedroom...?

i'd kinda thought about a grand to do the wooden frame but don't know if thats too low!
A grand will buy you some scaffolding and perhaps the foam board insulation required for the rafters.

If you want a full canopy scaffold a grand will go about 1/3rd of the way to paying for it.

I would have thought the additional weight on the walls will be negligible.

Came up with idea of pitching the extension roof]
Why?

lipstick-on-a-pig.jpg

Sponsored Links
To gain the extra room and have never been a fan of flat roofs.

Extension dimensions internally are 3 meters by 5 meters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back