Extension Outer Wall Rust - Wallties? Poor workmanship?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey -

First post, long time lurker, so I was hoping someone may be able to provide some advice please.

I'm looking at a house, and like a lot of people, am slightly hesitant to spend on a survey as there's already one thing that does strike me as a bit odd.

An extension was added in the last 10-15 years, you can clearly see the join in the (not very attractive) pebbledash finish. As I understand, it's semi-expected as things settle.

There are three problems I can see:
  1. The join where the extension meets original house: its visible (as expected, really), but there is a piece that needs repair as it's fallen away.

2. There is rust coming through but only in the extended parts - I think this may be wall ties but at no more than 15 years old, is this a sign of shoddy workmanship or a costly fix?

3. There is also a section that has been recoated with cement above the extension towards to the original wall of the house.

Any advice gratefully received - as with a lot of house purchases, cash is tight and a couple of grand spent on a surveyor to have to walk may impede a future purchase.

Of course, if this isn't too serious and I decide to persue the house, then I would look to engage a surveyor.

Many thanks
A

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 19.15.22.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 19.15.22.png
    750.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 19.15.09.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 19.15.09.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 19.14.49.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 19.14.49.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 19.14.01.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 19.14.01.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 19.12.57.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 19.12.57.png
    917.9 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
try to find out from the local authority website if it was built with Planning Permission and with Building Regulations approval. if not, don't buy it.

Is it on a clay soil? Or in a mining area?

Thanks for the reply @JohnD - the council inspected it after completeion approximately 2007-2010.

I have seen the certificate and it was signed off to conform with building regs at the time.

This house is not in a mining area and I know the soil is chalky (South Downs area, and I've seen the local authorities soil type map)

I suppose I'm mainly interested in is the (potential) wall-tie situation going to be costly, or require immediate attention, or could it be something less worrying?

I like the house and it looks to be in good shape, but I'm interested to hear if anyone may have any thoughts before looking at proceeding as it could well be a couple of grand down the drain (although if it uncoverers something serious, then its money well spent...)

Thanks again

I don't know about the rust staining. It looks to me like it might be old metal fixings in the wall, for pipes or washing lines, but I don't know.

We use stainless steel wall ties now.

Could there be a water leak into the cavity?

Sponsored Links
The patching of the render isn't very good, the cement where the roof joins is where they have patches the render for the flashing.

I'm wondering if the rust stains are as John said old fixings, or could they be from what's in the render maybe there was bits of iron or something in the ballast they used to mix the render.

The join in the wall between the extension is a tough one, if cracking isn't visible inside then it's possibly nothing to worry about and may jest be where they haven't attempted to blend the new and old render in.

The bit in the corner of the roof apex, looks like the old render is quite thick and they've channeled the lead in. But the pics not that great and hard to make out exactly

Thanks for the reply - I do know the rust stains are only on the extended part of the property - which I thought may be a concern if it's approx 15 years old (if the wall ties may be corroding)

Clearly I'm no expert but you'd have hoped they'd be stainless, even 15 years ago. Good point that it may be ballast although a couple of them are vertically aligned so it does make me think it's wallties...

Won't be wall ties. My guess is either inclusions in the render, or old fixings. The join is shoddy. Would have been better to fix stop beads and fill the join with expandable sealant.

Thanks @jeds - usefult to hear what people reckon. I agree the join doens't look great.

Is this a potentially costly repair, or something that could be tolerated for a year or two? The house is good and suits but I don't want to spent a few grand off the bat to get things in order (of course these things can happen with houses, but forewarned is forearmed and all that)

Personally wouldn't worry about it.

If it were me I'd save up for a bit and then get it chipped of and redone.

Personally I don't like that style of render so I would have it all removed and redone with smoothish stuff.

Yeah agreed - it's pretty nasty to be honest. It looks better in a different colour but the texture is pretty naff.

There's a large piece that's already coming away but no idea if/how difficult it would to strip it from the whole house, or better to render smooth over the top....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 18.54.32.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 18.54.32.png
    821.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 18.53.07.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 18.53.07.png
    778.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 18.53.03.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 18.53.03.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
You can see rust stain on neighbours house aswell so I would be pretty sure that the rust you see is within the ballast used for render.

That peeling you see is quite common. Due to the texture water ingresses into the render and causes it to blow out over time.

It's not generally goo to render over it as it is unknown how good a condition the base is and the new render may well just fall off.

It will be quite the task to remove it all, but not insurmountable.

I'd be inclined to cut out the joint into a groove, with an angle grinder, and put a visible joint in. Would look neater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back