Extension - public sewer - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a few weeks into a self-build extension project. I have a certificate of lawful development and full plans approval. I've dug the trenches (90cm) , had them inspected and poured the foundations. The dig was in undisturbed sand .

I have now had a letter from Thames Water saying that they believe my works are within 3 meters of or over a public sewer, I need to send them £343 for a check and must not start work (A bit late for that).

The letter does not give any indication as to why they believe there is a sewer present. I am not aware of any manholes on our properties or in neighbouring properties that would reveal one is present. I did have a survey done when I bought the property, it shows a public sewer but in the road at the front and not crossing our property.

I intend to call them tomorrow, any advice?

Sponsored Links
Was the water company not consulted by the council during the CLD application process? If you are unsure there should be a 'consultation response' document or similar if you look at the online application documents.

Thanks for that suggestion, If only the councils planning site wasn't down I'd be able to check :( Hopefully it will be up in the morning.

I spoke to Thames Water. They told me that it is a standard letter and they actually have no idea where their sewers are (despite stating the opposite).

I am going to send a letter and tell them to foxtrot oscar

Sponsored Links
I spoke to the guy at my local council this morning who was very helpful (and for amusement called Mr Plummer).

He checked the records and thinks that they are looking for any sewer within three meters of the boundary to trigger their letters.

Terry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back