Extension roof advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently in the planning stage of my extension. I'm looking to "fill in" the corner of my house which currently is single storey, but I want to bring it up to two storey. I'm also planning to take it out a bit closer to the border with my neighbours. Below is an overhead of my existing roof, and my house from the front.

My question is around the way this will integrate into the existing roof. A few of my neighbours have done a similar extension and have built another hipped roof that joins the main roof, similar to the one that exists already at the front. This then creates a gulley. An example is below:

However the neighbours extensions seem to have identical (same sized) mini hipped roofs that join the main roof.

Whereas the extra roof area I need to build is wider than the existing hipped roof that joins the main roof. I've done sketches (below) on what this might look like but I'm not even sure this is possible or the right thing? My drawing would have the new roof area higher than the other "mini hip" but not as high as the main roof. Is this the right way to go or is another design better? Cheers.

Existing Roof sketch:

Proposed Roof sketch:

Sponsored Links
Your sketch showing the wider hip is the right way; its ridge will obviously meet the main hip of the house at a higher level than the hip of the smaller roof, so you've got it right.
All hips should be at 45 deg. in plan, and all roof slopes must be the same angle.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony - good to know I'm along the right lines.

I do have a bit of a follow up question. I'm planning on building up to my border with this new extension.

It's been suggested that I build my bordering wall around 150mm from the border to allow the roof finish/guttering to still fall within my land, but to still utilise the space. This makes sense.

What I'm struggling with is to understand the best way to finish the roof at that border which doesn't use lots of external space at roof level. I’ve seen roofs out there that seem to have very little overhang (no soffits?), or would a gable end be a better idea (but this wouldn’t fit in with the other hipped finishes?). What’s the most common way to do it?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back