Extension roof meeting main vaulted roof ventilation query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Builders are adding an extension to the bungalow. The new extension has a cold roof as height is a limitation for other reasons. The roof joins the sloping tiles of the main sloping roof, about 9" higher than the old guttering. I'm not confident that their claim that ventilation is all dealt with is correct. There are vents at the lowest end of the flat roof i.e. in the soffit, but how is ventilation achieved at the other end? I think they mentioned ventilating into the main roof space but that sounds sketchy. How would it normally be done? What complies with regs?

Sponsored Links
Is the existing roof space vented at the eaves? And is the ventilation gap in your flat roof open to the existing roof void?

Is the existing roof space vented at the eaves? And is the ventilation gap in your flat roof open to the existing roof void?
Hi.
Thanks for the response. Apparently it would appear the intent was to vent into the main vaulted roof space but as the next phase is a roof conversion that is a no no. In any case it didn't seem quite right.

The design has now been changed and the deck is now spaced off on cross battens and a vented soffet added to the extension sides. The result is that the roof now has ventilation on three external faces. The battens or more than 50mm deep. I guess that will do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back