Cold Flat Roof No Ventilation Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently brought a property which has a old conservatory / extension at the back with a flat roof. I want to put up a new plasterboard ceiling in this room to replace the cardboard tiles which are on the ceiling. Upon removing the tiles I have found:

* Paper layer with one side film (looks like old radiator paper)?
* Wool Insulation maybe 100mm thick
* No ventilation!

The gap between the end of the joists and the decking is 155mm (top of slope) to 105mm bottom end (bottom of slope).

I now need to decide what is best to do.

1) Do I add vents into the soffits for ventilation? But due to the limited joist size I would probably need to forfeit having any insulation.

2) Or do I carry on with no ventilation and stuff it with insulation? (As it was already).

The roof is NOT in bad order considering its age and lack of ventilation but I would like to do what I can to improve its life span and reduce potential problems for myself in the future.

Advice gratefully welcomed!

Sponsored Links
Fill it to the brim with celotex/kinspan and seal up any air gaps, thus doing away with any air whatsoever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back