Extension to existing wall problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. The BCO doesn't want toothing, and modern brick sizes are different to my 1897 house. He has told me that he wants a vertical cut, 100 mm inwards ( where the mortar joint is ) and 100mm deep to prevent tracking. ( i know its pointless, but anyway). As per photo, i have removed a 1939 extension and need to make this corner 90 degrees. I will need to drill into the end brick in places to attach my wall fixing kit. Some places are ok, but a lot have only 30 to 70mm to build into, which is too small to fit a sliver of brick on to, and would have no strength to take a rawlpug and screw. Is my only choice to start dismantling my corner even further back, to make my brick and a third, into two equal bricks of half that size?

bricks.JPG

Sponsored Links
Your average starter kit has lots of holes and only a few fixings (middle and each end) needed.

Sponsored Links
i'll try again. I will be using a wall starter to join an extension to this bit of original house. I removed an old knackered extension, but as you can see with the photo, the perps are not staggered correctly. so where the wall ends, sometimes i can get a half brick to finish it off flush, at the return, other times im left with 50mm. i cant just use mortar, but cant use 40mm of brick plus 10mm of mortar either. I want this end of wall to be vertical. Thanks.

Can't see you have much choice than to have differing sizes of brick at the return... due to the perps not being aligned... you could remove the brick before the 40mm ones, and chop these down and lay back in to make the 40mm ones longer. Not sure if it will look any better though.

Can you take a better pic side on, showing more of the wall please.

Could you not use a longer fixing where you have thin bits of brick, so you fasten through into the whole brick behind?

Could you not use a longer fixing where you have thin bits of brick, so you fasten through into the whole brick behind?

He's joining at 90°. Just needs a decent length of brick where the 3 starter fixings go. I would leave it a while for the mortar to go off or the drilling will loosen it.

He's joining at 90°. Just needs a decent length of brick where the 3 starter fixings go. I would leave it a while for the mortar to go off or the drilling will loosen it.
Yeah, spot on cdbe. i suppose i will have to make up the vertical using really small end pieces in some of them. When it comes to fixings for the wall kit, i'll have to choose bricks that are full and not have equally spaced fixings. * note the double skin, no cavity. From this end, the mortar between the 2 skins is where BCO wants my vertical cut to avoid tracking. 100mm deep.*

Build the existing wall back up to form a plumb edge ready for the starter.

You don't put small cuts at the end, rather use nothing less than a half, and put the cut as the next brick in, or if say the gap is one and a quarter brick in length you would use 2x three quarter bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back