Extension wall out of line with existing wall for steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope the title fits the problem okay.

I have wrote this in detail and everyones ideas/advice is more than welcome.

I am doing an extension on a bungalow with a hipped roof, its on the front and so required planning permission. Where the extension meets the existing a window is to be located. This will require a steel above because the extension will be knocked through to the house and a steel will be put in place to carry the wall plate and so will sit in the steel above the window. (dont worry I have made a diagram to help explain).

The issue I have is the exterior wall of the house steps out 75mm for the duration of the existing room. I have built my footings and walls inlkine with this not realising that the internal wall just carried straight on and didnt stagger, foolish I know but it didnt even enter my head. This problem has meant that the steel from the wall I built will end up sitting on the fresh air of the existing cavity.

I have though of 3 soulutions which are not possible

1) Build my internal wall out so that it is in-line with the existing - I do not have enough room left on the footing and the concrete floor has been insulated and cast and is not suitable to carry a wall

2) build the existing wall in - I thought this maybe the best solution as the cavity would be very wide however this is not the case. The staggered wall is not the existing wall dog legged, it is simply another cousre added in front of the external course line. So by rebuilding the internal course to suit this would completely remove the existing cavity and leave me with a solid wall 3 bricks thick.

3) Relocate the window, not possible as the window is on the front and this would go against planning and also mess up the internal plans.

At this stage I am wonering if option to is best as the only area that would be 3 skin thick with no cavity is beneath half the window and a pier to carry the steel. View media item 61967

Sponsored Links
I can't really grasp what you mean, why not fit a steel lintel over the window, this will then carry the beam under the wallplate?...

Can you not fit a concrete lintel between the two walls (bridge the cavity) then rest your steel on the padstone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back