Extent of Zone 2 in a bathroom - oval bath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question on where zone 2 ends.

I have a rectangular bathroom 2.1 x 2.8 m. The bath will go across the shorter width. Next to it on the longer wall will be a sink (about 60cm wide), with a cabinet above and 'hotel' light fitting on top.

Looking at the regs diagrams, zone 2 is normally highlighted to extend 60 cm from where a rectangular bath meets the wall - this would put my cabinet light in zone 2.

But ... my bath is teardrop shape freestanding - it'll be 15 cm away from the wall with the sink on, and of course very rounded. The Bath taps are on on the centre line of the shorter width wall (though I guess that's neither here nor there).

So in this case, how is that zone 2 60 cm measured - is it from the light fitting to the closest point in the bath that will have water in it (on a plan view) - in which case I might be ok to use a non-zone 2 light, like the one I've already gone and bought .....

Sponsored Links
This came up a while back, about the location of a shaver socket IIRC, in this situation:-

(click image)

My take is the 600mm should be measured from the outside edge of the tub, not the inside edge.

The intention of the zone is to keep electrical items out of reach of anyone standing in the bath, and any accidental splashes. I would consider the small area in the corner marked '?' should also be included in zone 2, as, although technically outside the 600mm limit, the only way to reach it is to stand in the bath, which is what the zone definition is trying to prevent people from doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back