Exterior Knotting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am an experienced decorator of over 10 years and have used normal Dulux knotting outside many times. Am doing an outside for a very controlling customer who happened to read the knotting bottle and noticed it said interior use only. Have never come accross exterior knotting or had a problem with the interior stuff outside.
Anyone come accross exterior knotting?
Thanks
Phil

Sponsored Links
I personally havent seen knotting made for outside work. Iv'e always used toe same stuff. Having said that, a knot that is weeping on an exterior window sill in the heat of the day will weep no matter what you put on it. i used to work for an old ladey who had wooden windows and the knots bled for 25 yrs, :eek: she has had upvc fitted now. ;)

Was advised by a Dulux rep today to use Zinsser , the solvent based stuff, as a knotting agent outside. Will give it ago.

I've never heard of 'exterior' Knotting. Had the same probs as robbi, ive burnt at em, drowned with meths, sometimes nothing will stop it . Keep the Zinnsser bin tin away from your cussies beady eyes, as it says Not for exterior use ;) Though you can touch prime outside with it . :confused:

Sponsored Links
Always found knotting, useless on a decent knot outside.

White is the only colour to use on a cill with a knot, or.... the only sure way is to drill them out and fill 'em.

Had a customer once that refused to believe us about it and insisted he wanted his garage doors finished in black as the sun never got on them :eek: We burnt them off, knotted them and were using Dulux Weathershield (tis flexible y'know) and when it got hot, the knots came up in giant bubbles, like party balloons :D

Have you tried aluminium paint?

Who..me?

If you mean me, yes, I've tried it and that too is useless on a decent knot in the sun.

We once did some cills in brown in hot weather and used ally. The heat of the sun just activated the dormant resin and up they came like mushrooms.
Had to drill out...then car body filler, undercoated and glossed again with no bubbling.

You try and tell folk and.............................. they wont believe you.

I think growlers right...when yuo think about it the damage caused by bleadin resin is always far worse outside than in

Knoting wont stop the resin if theres a lot of it..it will only really stop stains bleading through paint films.

Once every couple of years aint bad is it? lol

Actually if you use the red tins of zinsser , the shellac based stuff, you can use it outside as a knotting solution.
phil

Had a look in the Dulux trade brochure and it says the knotting is for exterior and interior. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back