Exterior Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Could anyone give me some advice as to the best paint for exterior stone window sills and cut stone slab type front door overhangs?

The paint that is on there is craking off so I was going to clean it right back and paint it.

Also would the stone work need any sort of treatment before painting?

Also between the uptairs and ground window I have red quarry tiles on the bay that have been painted and are now blistering and peeling, any advice on these?

I suspect the paint is coming off because it's so old and has not been done for years but any advice would be grately recieved.

Thanks, Paul

Sponsored Links
You need to scrape off as much as you can (all if possible :eek: ) before applying any paint. If the surface is porous or powdery it should be sealed with a suitable stabilising solution before applying your chosen masonry paint.

As for the tiles, I personally like International Brick and Tile Paint for them (only red or black as far as I'm aware) but again remove as much loose and flaky paint as possible first. No stabiliser is required for smooth tiles.

It may prove more advantageous to strip the paint from the quarry tiles and just leave them as a feature, and perhaps another alternative would be to apply a special bond primer such as Zinsser Bullseye 123, or Dulux super or ultra grip primers and finish with a pliolite masonry (solvent borne) paint system.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back