Exterior painting mistake - can I just paint over??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We live in a wooden "weatherboard" cottage and we had some painters do the front of the house. For one reason or another (long story!) the colour is wrong. It's an off-white instead of the cream it's supposed to be!

My question is this:

Given the painters did a proper job (sanded down the wall, filled it, used a proper base coat and finished with Dulux Weathershield) can we get away with just painting straight on to the current top coat with another batch of Weathershield (or similar) given the current colour is lighter than the required shade? Or should we really at least rub down the facade all over again?

The answer dictates whether I do it myself or get the painters back! ;)

G

Ps - was *not* the painter's fault the colour is wrong - a mixture of ours and the councils - and of course, you have no come back with the council!! :( :(

Sponsored Links
Then I'd expect it to be fully hard, and the surface to need light flatting-down to provide a key. It should only need one topcoat, though.

Sponsored Links
you could also ring the "help" number on the paint tin, they're usually helpful and know the answers to Qs that come up often.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back