flaking paint. should I have used enamel instead of acrylic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We recently had our old Queenslander painted but the whole thing has become a big mess. We were advised by a Dulux Colour Consultant to use Acrylic paint rather than enamel (as it wouldnt go yellow) but 2 days after the painter finished the carpets were laid and there is a bunch of nicks and scuff marks all around the bottom skirting boards. Is this because we used acrylic rather than enamel (as the carpet man implied)? Is is possibily due to our painter not doing correct prep work?
We cant afford to repaint the whole thing again so is there any product that I can put over the existing job that will protect the skirting boards? I have 3 kids so imagine everything will get a lot of wear and tear.
I have a feeling our painter took short-cuts but Im desperate as we've just paid $10K for the whole house to be painted like this and once the furniture goes in I can only guess there will be many more bumps and scraps to the walls - surely paint should last longer than this?

Any advice would be great as I have no idea.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
10 thousand bucks for a lick of paint? Are you serious? Just go over it with a water based acrylic. It'll only take you an hour. I love those Queenslander houses mind, I travelled extensively in Oz when I was teenager.

Sponsored Links
Acrylics take a while to fully film form and harden up and will not take the knocks until fully cured. As John has suggested it seems the carpet fitter may be the most likely suspect.
To self remedy the problem, rub the skirting down and apply another coat, if you mask off the carpets you should be fine.

Dulux in Oz is not Dulux as we know it over here, ICI sold the brand name off in this part of the world years ago.

Don't see a problem with ten grand (for a good job) painters are paid far better in OZ than they are over here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back