Exterior painting / penetrating damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought an old cottage 1800's - last year and it was suffering from damp so I installed a dpc and it stopped the rising damp however the cottage also suffered badly from penetrating damp in the walls.

The cottage is brick built and painted.

I bought some white Santex smooth masonary paint this summer and gave it 2 coats and it has helped somewhat however there are still patches that are bad and I dont want to decorate the interior whilst the property still has this problem because I feel that it will get ruined quickly.

The question I want to ask is this.

How do I stop the penetrating damp for good?

Is there a special paint/finish that i can put over the 2 coats of paint I have already applied or is it just a matter of keep putting more coats on top of another until it stops?

I have resealed the windows and replaced all the guttering so I know that this isnt the problem.

I would really like to get this done before winter arrives.

Any help would be great

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back