Stabalising Water Based Emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A wall in a house that I am about to decorate occasionally suffers from damp. Measures have been taken to stop this, but as insurance, the plan is to coat the wall on the inside of the house with damp resistant latex paint. The problem is that the wall is currently covered with a cheap emulsion that is not water resistant. What I need to do is stabilise the paint, so that it doesn't dissolve and undermine the water resistant coat should the wall become damp again. There are penetrative wall coverings that may do the trick, or perhaps even waterproof pva, but I am not sure. Has anyone had to deal with this situation before?

Sponsored Links
You need to find out why the wall gets damp first .
What measures have you taken to prevent it ?

Oh, well I did say that "measures have been taken to stop this" and by that I meant that I have treated the external source of the damp, but as an added precaution, I want to treat the inside of the wall too.

But the existing paint is water soluble, which does not provide a good base for subsequent coats of anything. So really what I am asking is it it possible to apply an interior solution to at least make the existing emulsion a little less water soluble.

I am thinking that in some waterproofing/stabilising agents may well do the trick.

Sponsored Links
The thing is, paint that you apply on the surface doesn't stop damp from coming from within the wall. Doesn't matter how good the coating is it will get pushed off by rising damp or penetrating damp from the other side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back