Exterior Rendering to Battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm rendering the outside of the 1920s terrace.

I did all the garden walls sometime ago, 5mm ish scratch coat to level, then a 10mm top coat.

However the only way I can do it and get it flat; is 5mm battens approx 1m apart, use them to get the scratch coat flat, let it dry a bit, remove the battens, fill the gaps. Then repeat the process for the 2nd coat with 10mm battens. It takes a lot of time getting the battens level & I'm not that quick so it was done in sections over a period of days & the sections were only 1m wide x 2m high. The walls I did a few years ago with this process seem fine, its all still nice and solid, I got fairly good with the float and you can't see any of the batten lines.

Is this process acceptable on an external wall? Sections done over different days & using the batten method? I can see it taking at least 3/4 days per coat.

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
When you say external walls, are you talking about the whole side of a house?
If you are rendering a large area and have to stop, it is advisable to cut the render in a tapered zigzag line when you leave it, so you can blend it in easier when you return, you squeeze/cut the render at a tapered angle because if you cut it straight with your trowel it will/could pull away from the wall , and the zigzag (broken line) distracts the eye line so you don't notice the joint
=
EDIT
Photos of the job in hand would help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back