Exterior security light..wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a security light to put up but no wiring instructions.
I'm replacing an existing light and have 3 core cable to the point the new one will be.
Can anyone explain the two white wires??
the thicker one goes to the PIR and the two narrow ones both go into the light unit.
Do i just leave that one or does it need a link from the live?
bootandconsumer037lw4.jpg

Thanks chaps

Sponsored Links
what do you suppose should go there?

my guess is its for an additional light

is this a uk product with a BS number. i only ask because of your location.

where does the brown go?

im thinking you connect live-brown, nuetral-blue, earth- green (bit obvious i know). the white that connects in the same terminal as the blue is a permanent neutral feed to the light.

the thick white wire is the switched live that only 'recieves' voltage when the PIR switches to give it voltage. this then powers the light via the other white wire.

yeah, given his discription it is almost certain that the two thin white wires are power to the light, the brown and blue feed the pir and the thick white is the switched live from the PIR.

so he shouldn't connect anything to the white terminal unless he wants to wire an override switch or a slave light.

Sponsored Links
Crafty, his OP did say that he has no M to F'ing R. But the posts above have it correct

Brown = live
Blue (with white) = neutral
Gn/Yell = earth

the terminal with two whites are where you would connect an override switch or feed out to another light.

TTC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back