exterior tunking advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want / need to run telephone, cat5, RF coax, sky twin WF100 from one room downstairs to the attic. the house is quite old & concrete / brick.

The easiest way seems to be up the wall on the back of the house. I am wary that there will be 7+ cables & these wont fit in standard 25mm conduit.

Anyone know of any other cosmetically friendly ways of doing it? waste pipe seems the next possibility, although i'm not sure about keeping it water tight as it enters the house at both ends... would using this cause any problems with wiring regs? any other ideas?

thanks

Sponsored Links
The issue with a decent vertical run inside waste pipe is that the cable can't be supported anywhere along the drop.

The issue with trunking, is that moisture could build up on the face between the wall and the bottom side of the trunking (unless you run sealant along both sides of the trunking base.

The other issue is that some of the cable installed won't be external quality (cat5 and voice CW1306/8 cable) so you need to cover it.

I'd use something like black D line 30mm x 15mm fixed to the external wall with some rubber grommets between the base of the trunking and wall to allow some airflow and prevent damp issues (or the need to use sealant down both edges).

At the top seal the end to prevent water running down inside the trunking.

Every 1m or so drill 2 x holes in the back to thread a cable tie to support the cable inside the trunking.

Make sure the hole into the house point diagonally upwards from outside to inside to prevent water running in via the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back