What wire on exterior house for lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved house and there are 4x elderly CFL exterior lights on the side of my house to illuminate the side path, all running through galv conduit. all the lights are broken/rusted, the bulbs have clearly long since blown.

I want to replace the setup and remove the conduit as it’s bloody hideous (it’s a grade 2 listed brick house and the galv conduit looks terrible). I did look at finding conduit bulkhead lights that allow in/out conduit for an easy life/swap but they seem very rare, and to get the right diameter of light is tricky as the old ones are massive 300mm discs and I’ll end up with gaps between conduit end and light fitting!

anyway I’m hoping to replace the lot, assuming I can simply clip wiring to the wall (ideally grey) instead of using the conduit to blend it into the mortar of the bricks. Is this ok? Do I need to use SWA (it’ll be mounted at waist height approx, brick all the way). Assuming 1.5mm twin and earth is ok?

Wanted to check what wire should I use, and if conduit is really necessary. (it will power 5x led lights only, though oddly there is also a waterproof timer power socket at the end of the daisy chain, that I guess was used to power xmas lights, (naughty naughty I know to have a socket on a light run, as sure enough the time I plugged in a big sander, POP the breaker went). Whole setup is on a 6A RCD also.
i’m planning on leaving the waterproof socket if on the offchance I want to plug in some Xmas lights.

thanks all
TLTR: what wire to go on exterior brick wall for lights?
‘Do I need to use conduit?

Sponsored Links
In the main wiring outside is black, this is because black better resists UV light, they are also normally round, so the glands will seal, you can get mineral insulated or ali-tube cable which can be better hidden, but mineral cable glands are not really suitable for DIY.

Yes I have seen many twin and earth cables outside, but they should never be used where the sun light can shine on them. In the main outside stuff will get water in at some point, so rather than seal, make sure there is a hole in bottom for it to get out again, 1/16 inch hole is enough. Cables in at bottom, and a U on any cable where it may allow capillary action to allow water to follow the wire into the fitting.

Same with walls all holes slope down to outside.

In the main wiring outside is black, this is because black better resists UV light, they are also normally round, so the glands will seal, you can get mineral insulated or ali-tube cable which can be better hidden, but mineral cable glands are not really suitable for DIY.

Yes I have seen many twin and earth cables outside, but they should never be used where the sun light can shine on them. In the main outside stuff will get water in at some point, so rather than seal, make sure there is a hole in bottom for it to get out again, 1/16 inch hole is enough. Cables in at bottom, and a U on any cable where it may allow capillary action to allow water to follow the wire into the fitting.

Same with walls all holes slope down to outside.
Perfect, it’s north facing and large hedge adjacent to it’s never in sunlight, also what gauge is best i‘m assuming 1.5mm is fine? Or is 2.5 the way to go?

I would strongly advise you do not use T&E outside - irrespective of the location - as it will fail over time

Hituff (NYY-J) is a far better option and is perfect for the job

Sponsored Links
I would strongly advise you do not use T&E outside - irrespective of the location - as it will fail over time

Hituff (NYY-J) is a far better option and is perfect for the job
Sounds a bit overkill tbh
Will this do, can’t see this HITIF at Screwfix

In the main wiring outside is black, this is because black better resists UV light

Surely black absorbs (slightly) more UV light than white?

I had always thought that black is most frequently used on brickwork because white sticks out more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back