Exterior wooden window frames - need painting - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My 3 shop windows are in desperate need of re-painting. The frames are wooden, most parts are actually fine but the lower window ledge parts - the wood has all split and cracked and the paint has also split and peeled all over. The wood itself does feel dry, not rotten.

My initial thoughts were just to sand the frames right down to the bare wood, but sand deep enough to remove all the cracks/splits in the wood as well, then re-paint. Is this the correct method? Some of the cracks seem several mm deep so is this too deep to try and sand all the way through?

I have attached numerous pictures to help show what I mean. Any help and advice on how to tackle this would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Greg

PS - I'm still not sure if this should be posted here, in the garden section or the windows section?

Sponsored Links
Looks like the frames are hardwood, which will crack/ split eventually,

a good rub down wth an electric sander (I use a small hand held one for frames), you could use the Painters Mastic (coloured) or coloured woodfiller to fill in the gaps,sand and wipe off with damp Sponge/cloth,

then minimum two/three coats Quality Trade Exterior Woodstain, i.e Sadolin, Ronseal, I prefer Dulux Trade Weathershield Woodstain.

As its a shop dont forget Wet Paint Signs, and dont leave stuff around on the Pavement in case anyone trips over it and makes a claim.

Is the work only on ground level, as its on a public footpath the Council may require you to use scaffolding if you need to go higher (or do the high bits off a ladder on a Sunday, when there is no one around ;) )

Many thanks for the reply.

For the sander, I have a small eletric sander (it just vibrates), should this be sufficient or should I hire a belt sander?

You mention 2/3 coats of quality exterior wood stain. I was thinking of painting the frames. Are you saying to apply the wood stain and then paint? Or suggesting I don't paint at all and just use the wood stain?

If I am to paint, do I need primer, then undercoat then gloss or just undercoat then gloss?

Apologies for the extra questions.

Many Thanks

Greg

going by the pics it looks like the wood has been treated with a stain varnish,

If you chose to paint I would suggest either an Aluminum Primer then 2 Undercoats and then gloss,

If you go for Dulux Weathershield products , use their wood primer.

The small hand sander is ideal for the narrow parts of the frames.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

The frames had previously been painted. We did it ourselves about 3 years ago and it lasted about 6 months. I can see now from your advice that we weren't thorough enough in our preparations and skipped too many steps (not knowing what the steps were didn't help :oops: )

Once its all sanded down and filled, I may test with some stain and see how that looks compared to painting.

Thanks once more, at last I feel like I have a clear direction on what to do. Now all that's left is to do it! Should keep the wife busy for the next few days... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back