Exterior woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm after some advice on painting some exterior wood on my house. It's an arch and lintel at the front of the house and a few window frames at the back.

They are already white, looks like gloss but are flaking and cracking.

I've never done a job like this before, so I'm unsure on what steps to fix this? Sand, prime, undercoat and paint? Or do I not need all these steps or do I need more? Can anyone suggest the best products to use?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I'm looking at Dulux Weathershield undercoat (water based) and Dulux Weathershield Gloss (oil based). Any opinions on this?

AFAIK it's better to stick with one system throughout, either water based or oil. Roughly how old is the house ?

It's 1920's, not sure how old this paint is though.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the level of finish you desire. If you want to get a really smooth finish, then best to strip back the paint to the wood work, chemical or burner, but watch out for potentially lead based paints in older layers. You will be able to spot it when burning as you get little grey blobs of lead coming off it.

If you are not too bothered by how smooth, scrape it to get the worst of the flaking off and then sand it as much as you like, fill any big scapes etc and sand that. Then use an undercoat and then a top coat, use a 2nd coat if required. If you do get down to bare wood, use a primer first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back