External alarm cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am fitting an electric gate lock to a wooden side gate that I will power the release from a Texecom output and as I am running a cable from alarm to the gate, I am going to also add an external door contact, probably using the same cable.
When installing my external PIR I could drill through the wall with no exposed cable, but now I will have a small section on the wall, and then the cabling on the back of the gate. I will use an armoured door loop on the hinge, but does anyone have any good ideas on how to protect the cable otherwise?
Would pvc trunking be ok, or should I look at steel conduit tubes? I guess it doesn't have to be massively secure, someone cutting it and setting off the tamper alarm is probably good enough for me that I have a problem.
Ideally I wanted a semi circular steel cover to the cable, but I cant seem to find that. Also I only have internal alarm cable, so would that be ok if fully run inside conduit? I don't want to buy a roll for just 10metres.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Main difference between internal/external cables is usually the UV protection, as your planning to run that in conduit then internal would be fine. Is this shielded cable or unshielded? Yes anyone cutting/damaging the cable will set off the tamper so I wouldn't worry too much on that part. An issue with plastic you might have is that it will expand/contract and sag a lot more so plenty of support might be needed. Also where the joins/connectors are will eventually let water/moisture in so this will need to be considered.

Thanks. Its unshielded.
Sounds like full metal conduit is best then to ensure no water gets in either. Will have to work out how to join from a metal conduit to a door loop to minimise exposure to the elements.

Depending on the door loop contact you could terminate the conduit into a metal conduit terminal box and then mount one end of the loop on top of the metal plate with some sealant between the two pieces of metal and then the wire can be terminated inside the box. That way should also mean you can get to the connections for maintenance should it ever be needed.

Sponsored Links
My next challenge is how to terminate the galvanised conduit into a junction box and get the cable out and into the door lock. I was going to use a single conduit box but can I then drill through the box?
Or do I get a 2 way one and get some sort of waterproof grommet to pass the cable through, although some cable will then be exposed as the lock is surface mounted, unless I route out a channel from under the conduit box to under the lock and cover it with something??

If it's just "normal" home security and not a mission impossible type set up can't you use flexible pvc conduit that you bury and use IP rated plastic boxed with glands?

That assumes that you have suitable flower beds to bury the cable

Thanks... I dont think I was clear, it was the end of the conduit into the lock that was my problem, not running most of it.

However I think I have got it done as per the picture. One small 2mm hole drilled for the cables for the electric lock, hidden behind the lock, and a larger hold for the rubber grommet of the armoured cable to the door sensor. Its a bit tight to get fingers into the door handle, so might need to put an extra pull handle on but its all good and now my phone unlocks my gate.

If its not too late one thing I probably would of done slightly different is to have the door contact on the bottom half of the gate (with the cable still coming out of the bottom) and then come out of the junction box from the bottom. That way water is less likely to find its way into the entry point as everything would be running downward.

crude example:
XZuLSbd.jpg

Haha. Nice photoshopping. I had thought about putting the door contact cable coming out the bottom to reduce water getting in , although the rubber is tight, but couldn't work out how to run the cable to the contact. Didn't think about putting it below the lock!!
It's too late for that junction box but have spares so will change it round at the weekend
Thanks for the idea

What ever you do or don't do, fix the armoured cable to the gate or someone will pull on it and cause problems, usually at the worst possible time.

HaHa. Thanks yes will be doing that as soon as I get cable clips the right size. Especially without easy pull handle it will be just the thing to grab hold of!

All done... Thanks all for the good advice. Door contact moved to below the lock with cable entering at bottom of the junction box and cable clipped to gate.

The door loop fixed to the 2 junction boxes with Sticks like sh!t and a hole in the box cover to allow the cable through. Hopefully all waterproof.

One last question... am I supposed to do anything to the conduit once installed? The pipe vice has left a few marks and in a couple of places there is a mm or 2 of exposed thread. Do I need to spray anything?

Thanks.

Not sure if any water will make its way down the thread but some Loctite, plumbers mait/PTFE, Vaseline etc... on the threads should prevent any water ingress from them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back